Developed for the general real estate practitioner, this course will teach you the process of renovating existing commercial buildings, as well as greenfield developments, to a Zero Net Energy Bill and Operational Carbon Neutrality, with a very strong emphasis on the health and wellness of its occupants.
In this course, you will learn how to complete this process in a way that quantifies its profitability over renovating a building to meet minimum code. This course will provide you with the resources, methods, and materials needed to apply this methodology to your own projects, and you will learn how to assess the economic value of driving your renovations in this direction.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the importance and value of the Integrative Design Process which brings all of the important project team members together at the beginning of the design process to collaborate cooperatively with all of the various design disciplines.
- Convey the components that contribute to the energy use of a building’s operation; what building methods and materials are utilized to reduce it, and how these are implemented to maximize value.
- Understand the aspects of a building that affect the Health and Wellness of its occupants, how to design in a manner that enhances these aspects cost-effectively, and how that brings value to the building.
- Quantify the economic implications of net zero design to establish budgets, evaluate targets for building performance, and inform design decisions.
Module 1: Starting a Net Zero Project
- Introduction to Net Zero
- Assembling the Right Team
- The First Design Charette
- Energy and Energy Use Intensity – HVAC HVAC Systems – Guest Speaker Alyse Falconer, PE, LEED AP BD+C, Associate Principal, Point Energy Innovations
Module 2: Building Systems of a Net Zero Building
- Energy and Energy Use Intensity: Artificial Lighting, Building Management Systems, Plug Loads
- Lighting Innovations – Guest Speaker David Kaneda
- The Second Design Charette
- Solar and Battery Systems – Guest Speaker Rob Hymes, Chief Development Officer, Mynt Systems
- Roof and Ceilings
- Exterior Design
Module 3: Construction and Non-Energy Benefits
- Health and Wellness
- Non-Energy Benefits – Guest Speaker Jeremy Atema
Module 4: Net Zero Financials
- Case study: 435 Indio
- Handout – pro forma spreadsheet
- Tenant Benefits
- Combined Benefits
- Lenders, Underwriting, Financing – Guest Speaker Molly McCabe, CEO and Founder, HaydenTanner
- Case study: 47951 Westinghouse Drive
Module 5: Ground-Up vs. Redevelopment for Net Zero
- New Construction – Guest Speaker Andy Bush, Founder and Managing Partner, Morgan Creek Ventures
- Compare & Contrast
- Final Q&A
You could find out more about this Live Course HERE
You could read more about Initiatives & Conferences Here