Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has a long reputation as one of the top universities and research centers in the world. The MIT brand is synonymous to innovation in all fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. It is home to several Nobel laureates and many of its faculty has been awarded top honors. Furthermore, many renowned world thinkers and leaders claim MIT as their alma mater. MIT has played a key role in various stages of our collective technological advancement, from leading the race to the moon, to harboring the nascent World Wide Web, just to name a few. Building on this amazing track record, MIT is leading the way forward with initiatives such as:
• the ENGINE, that supports «tough tech» founders, building the next generation of world-changing companies;
• the SOLVE, that aims to solve the world’s most pressing problems through open innovation and partnership;
• the Schwarzman College of Computing, that aspires to shape the future of computing and AI education, research, and innovation.
Besides its top academic and research credentials, MIT is the cradle of one of the strongest entrepreneurial communities in the world. Entrepreneurship was ingrained in the MIT culture since the very first day of its incorporation, as exemplified by its motto “Mens et Manus” that translates to “mind and hand”.
A study commissioned in 2015 found that MIT alumni have launched more than 30.000 companies around the world with a combined $1.9 trillion in annual revenue; they provide high paying jobs to 4.6 million people and, if combined into a virtual country, they would account for the 10th largest GDP, ahead of India and just behind Russia. The list of companies founded by MIT alumni includes Intel, Hewlett Packard, Boss Corporation, iRobot, Qualcomm, 3Com, and Dropbox, to name a few.
The entrepreneurial culture within the MIT community is cultivated by several organizations. However, MIT Enterprise Forum (MITEF) is the only organization within the institute which tries to spread the MIT entrepreneurial knowhow to the rest of the world.
Founded 40 years ago in Cambridge, to support the entrepreneurial efforts of MIT alumni, MITEF has evolved into a global network, with 19 chapters around the world, inspired by MIT and open to the world. MITEF is currently part of the MIT Technology Review, (MIT owned media company), and has a very bold vision; to build a better world by accelerating the creation and growth of world-class technology companies. To achieve this vision MITEF runs highly curated programs that aim to inform, connect, coach and accelerate technology entrepreneurs, helping them to transform their ideas into world changing companies.
The Greek chapter of MITEF was launched in 2013 to help the fledgling Greek technology ecosystem, innovators, researchers, entrepreneurs and investors grow faster and smarter by taking advantage of its unique global network and invaluable entrepreneurial resources.
The mission of MITEF Greece is aligned to that of MITEF Global, but adapted to the local technology ventures, especially those coming out of universities and research centers. Over the years MITEF Greece programs have evolved to address the changing needs of the local community and are currently grouped in four categories:
• StartSmart Conference and Events: the flagship conference and satellite events, taking place in Greece or abroad, for inspiration and networking;
• Hands-on Workshops: providing aspiring entrepreneurs with the tools to understand the opportunities and challenges ahead;
• ”Tech Insiders Club”: educating business people and investors about technology, and enabling them to better understand the startup ecosystem.
• The MITEF Greece Startup Competition: the flagship program that brings together handson knowhow, global networking and visibility to the participating startups. Regarded as one of the top technology acceleration programs in the country, during its first 5 years it has accelerated more than 110 Greek startups, several of which are leading the way in the ”technology transfer scene».
MITEF Greece will continue catering the needs of the maturing Greek technology ecosystem and amplify its effort to build bridges with the global technology market. MITEF Greece believes that Greece can become a global technology hub, following the footsteps of the Greek shipping community. MITEF Greece will pursue its endeavor supported by the invaluable work of its network of volunteers and the resources of its sponsors.
You could find out more about MIT Enterprise Forum Greece HERE